What exactly is hyaluronic acid? You’ve probably seen this ingredient mixed into your skincare products at least once, but what is this ingredient substance and what does it do?
Pure hyaluronic acid is a supplement that can treat injuries such as burns, bed sores, and even skin ulcers. To have it injected or find it in its purest form, you’re going to need a prescription, but it does more than just heal wounds. Hyaluronic acid can also be found in many skincare products such as creams, oils, moisturizers, and toners, and can provide you with excellent benefits, like leaving your skin feeling plump and hydrated.
This ingredient promotes collagen synthesis which is a fancy way of saying it provides anti-aging effects. Wrinkles and skin discoloration occur when the collagen in our bodies begin to decline. Hyaluronic acid slows this process and does so without any harsh or skin-stripping effects.
Here is a breakdown of some skincare products containing hyaluronic acid that could be a great option for you to try:
OILS & SERUMS
Choosing a hyaluronic acid oil for your skincare routine could be beneficial because it’s easy and convenient to mix into other parts of your skincare. You can even mix an oil into your foundation if it’s more matte. Whether you add it into a moisturizer or apply it to the skin by itself, it delivers a more pure, hydrating, and stronger form of this ingredient. This allows you to reap more benefits from the product. Here are some of the highest rated oils and serums to choose from:
- Insta Natural Hyaluronic Acid Serum ($18) – Rich in Vitamin C, plant extracts, and jojoba oil, this product is all-natural and sure to soothe dehydrated skin. This serum is affordable, highly concentrated, and skin-stripping chemical free.
- Cosmedica Skincare Pure Hyaluronic Acid Serum ($15) – This serum can be applied either day or night and is safe for those with sensitive or hypoallergenic skin. At a low price, you’re getting plenty of concentrated product.
- PETERTHOMASROTH Water Drench Hyaluronic Acid ($65) – Coming in a bit pricier, the reputation of PETERTHOMASROTH and its 75% hyaluronic acid content is something you might find worth paying a bit extra for.
GELS & MOISTURIZERS
Finding daily moisturizers, night creams, or gels that contain hyaluronic acid can be a great way to treat your skin with beneficial ingredients but still save money by incorporating two skincare steps into one. Luckily, hyaluronic acid is becoming such a popular ingredient for consumers that there are plenty of moisturizing products that already contain a decent amount. Below are a few of the best choices when considering a hyaluronic acid moisturizer or gel:
- Clinique Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator ($12 - $52.50) – Clinique products have served as a staple in many people’s skincare routines. This moisturizer will leave your skin feeling soft, dewy, and of course, moisturized. You can also pair this moisturizer with Clinique’s other skincare steps, customized for all skin types.
- Dermalogica Calm Water Gel ($48) – Curated with unique ingredients apple fruit extract and cactus pear extract, this gel helps soothe sensitive skin and create a protective layer of hydration. Dermalogica is a well-known brand that is highly rated and worth spending a bit more on.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel ($20) – This moisturizer is oil-free, so you don’t have to worry about that residual oil feeling that some hydrating moisturizers leave behind. At an affordable price, this product has become a favorite in the skincare community.
TONERS & CLEANSERS
These two skincare steps can go somewhat hand-in-hand. After you cleanse your skin of any makeup or dirt, it could be beneficial to add a toner to your routine, especially if you have oily or acne-prone skin. Toners provide an extra level of cleansing and also provide benefits like the shrinking of pores, restoration of pH balance to your skin, and ultimately, leave you feeling refreshed. Here are some top picks for hyaluronic acid-based toners and cleansers:
- Derma-E Hydrating Cleanser ($15.50) – This top-rated cleanser is sulfate-free which means it leaves zero after-aging effects. In addition to hyaluronic acid, it also contains all-natural ingredients such as chamomile, lemongrass, papaya, and vitamins A and E.
- Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Toner ($17) – Isntree is an all-natural skincare brand that is guaranteed to provide your skin with clean and chemical-free ingredients. This toner is 50% hyaluronic acid which assures you’re getting plenty of the benefits at a reasonable price.
- Mario Badescu Corrective Complex Emulsion ($30) – This is a very unique product that can be added to any step of skincare. It’s high concentration of hyaluronic acid, along with other beneficial ingredients, it’s a solid choice if you’re looking for color correction. This product works for all skin types and will leave your skin feeling smooth and hydrated.
Taking care of your skin is something that we all know we should do a better job of but can be difficult and overwhelming with so many products and ingredients to consider. Hyaluronic acid is a beneficial skincare supplement that you may want to consider making a staple in your routine. With so many different options, forms, brands, and prices, you’re sure to find a product that works for you. Hopefully, our list of top-rated choices can help you narrow down your search and find the perfect hyaluronic acid for your skin.